Wednesday 29 May 2013

Tomatoless Spaghetti Bolognese - my way!!

 
Tomato's have become a real problem for K in the cooler weather, in particular creating eczema type symptoms around her mouth. 'Spaghetti Bolognese' is a staple in our house - easy way to hide vegies, simple to make into a big batch and freeze for quick meals.... and most importantly, the kids eat it!!!
 
I have been so worried about what I was going to do if I couldn't give K 'Spag Bol' anymore... until I saw a post by http://www.againstallgrain.com/ for 'tomatoless meat sauce' and thought.... I'm going to give this a go!! ..... So the following is my version! The outcome - the kids ate it and no reaction for K.... Spag Bol remains as the 'go to meal'!!! Phewwwwwwwwwwww


The biggest hurdle I had to overcome was not the taste, but the colour - purple, not red!! Straight away Cayden (4yr) spotted the difference... after a number of discussions about 'trying new things etc' he agreed to give it ago and then finished the lot!! K had already finished by this stage and was ready to move on (as toddlers do!!) 
 
So anyway, I had great success - HOORAY!! The leftovers have now been frozen into portion serves ... HOORAYx1,000,000!!!! (I love having things ready to go....!!)
 
Sauce
 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 medium Sweet Potato, peeled and grated
2 cups Beetroot, peeled and grated
1 medium Zucchini, peeled and grated
1 small Red Onion, peeled and diced
1 cup Broccoli
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 tsp Herbamare (herbed sea salt)
1/2 teaspoon (approx.) fresh Cracked Pepper
1 tbsp Mixed Herbs
1 tbsp Coconut Amino Sauce
1/2 cup of water

Meat
2 tbsp Grape Seed Oil
500g Lean Minced Beef
1 tbsp Tamari Sauce (gluten free soy sauce)

 
- Heat Coconut Oil, add Garlic and Onion and cook till translucent (3-4 minutes)
 
- Add Beetroot, Sweet Potato, Zucchini and cook till softened
 
- Add Salt, Pepper, Mixed Herbs, Water, and Sauce and turn heat down to low to simmer for about 10mins

(During this time I got the 'noodles' ready - Brown Rice Noodles for Cayden, Mung-Bean Noodles for K)
 
- Pour sauce into food processor and blend till smooth, set aside
 
- To the pan, heat 2 tbsp of Grape Seed Oil, add Mince and brown
 
- Add Tamari Sauce and Broccoli
 
- Add Bolognese Sauce back to the pan, mix through and continue until Mince cooked through

** I then put everything back through the blender to ensure EVERYTHING is hidden well and no lumps, it just works and I'm not game enough to challenge that yet!! :)

** The sauce was a bit drier than when I make it with tomato's, you may want to add more fats or liquid (stock?) to assist this...

Done!!

I then served with some grated cheese to make it look even more authentic.....didn't really need it!! Up to you!!

Enjoy!!

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment